Odisha State Board CHSE Odisha Class 11 Invitation to English 3 Solutions Personal Advertisement Writing Textbook Activity Questions and Answers.
CHSE Odisha 11th Class English Personal Advertisement Writing
Broadly speaking, an advertisement is a form of communication intended to promote the sale of a product, or a service to influence public opinion, advance a particular cause, gain political support, to elicit some other response desired by the advertiser. It is also used indirectly to enlighten the public at large about new products and services.
The characteristics of an advertisement are :
- Catching attention
- Stimulating interest
- Arresting desire
- Supplying convincing details
- Motivating action
We sometimes find it necessary to place personal advertisements (or ads) in newspapers. The publication of these ads are expensive. Therefore, it is necessary to be brief and concise in writing an ad.
Read the following ads very carefully and make sure you understand them. Answer the questions that the teacher asks about them.
(a) Wanted beautiful graduate (caste no bar) 5’5″ for an established Khandayat businessman, 29/5’8″, Bhubaneswar. Write to box No. 256, C/o The Samaj, Cuttack.
(b) Wanted Bengali Kayastha groom for fair, good-looking, homely Bengali bride, B.A., 25/5’2″. Write to Box 308, The Samaj, Cuttack.
Accommodation Wanted/To Let:
(c) Wanted 2 bedroom house with bath and kitchen within 1 km of High Court. Contact 2647130.
(d) 1200 sq. feet suplex house to let at Ekamra Villa, Jayadev Vihar, near Biju Patnaik College, Bhubaneswar. Contact 2558162.
(e) Female marketing executive with good command of English. Must own a two-wheeler. Remuneration will not be a constraint for the right candidate. Contact 640712/607014.
(f) Wanted: A Sales Promoter and a Lady Typist. Only Science graduates with pleasant personalities and experience need to apply immediately with bio-data and photographs to the Manager, Chandra Chemicals, Industrial Estate, Rasulgarh. Bhubaneswar.
(g) One Maruti 800 car, the owner drove, in tip-top condition for immediate sale. Contact (0674) 2554217 between 10 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
(h) Book your independent bungalow. Price range Rs. 5.17 to 8.00 lakhs. Close to Rasulgarh, Bomikhal, Laxmisagar, near GGP colony. Site under development. Booking started. Contact Sadhu Biswal, Laxmisagar, Ph – 2560642.
Here are some short descriptions. Read them carefully and turn them into small ads to be published in your local newspapers. For help, you may look back at the ads in the previous activity.
1. My two-year-old dog has been missing since 6 February, 20. He is of the Alsatian breed and brown in color. He has thick, bushy fur. His name is Jimmy. If you see him, please contact telephone 2551055.
2. Ritz Travels, Bermuda offers an excellent tour package of 15 days just for a paltry sum of Rs. 5000 per head. The package includes board, lodging, train fare, and local transport. The party is leaving Bhubaneswar on 1st March and will cover entire South India with stop-overs at Bangalore, Madras, Pondicherry, and Ooty. If you want to join, contact 2557182.
3. A software Engineer well-placed in the USA, belonging to the Teli caste, is looking for a fair and beautiful girl for an early matrimonial alliance. The girl should be around 25 years of age with a first-class MCA or MBA. Girls having Post Graduate degrees in Physics and Mathematics will also be suitable. There is no caste bar. Contact immediately (0674) 2582396.
4. We require a science graduate to work as Laboratory Assistant in our factory near Puri. Persons with minimum of 5 years’ experience will be preferred. Write within 7 days to Box No. 680, The Samaj, Cuttack.
(1) Missing: Brown two-year-old Alsatian named Jimmy since 6 February. Finders contact 551055.
(2) Tour Offer: Entire South India in 15 days with stopovers at Bangalore, Madras, Pondicherry, and Ooty for only Rs. 5000 per head. The package includes boarding, lodging, train fare, and local transport. Party leaving Bhubaneswar on 1st March. Contact Ritz Travels, Bermuda, or Phone at 2557182.
(3) Wanted a fair and beautiful bride for Teli software Engineer, well-placed in the USA. 25-year-old girls with first-class MCA/MBA or PG Physics/Maths preferred. Early Alliance. Caste no bar. Contact immediately at 0674-2582396.
(4) Wanted Lab Asst, for a factory near Puri. Science graduates with a minimum of 5 years of experience are preferred. Write within 7 days to Box No. 680, The Samaj, Cuttack.
Write three small ads from this list, to be placed in your local newspaper.
1. You want to sell your TV (cost/make/condition etc.)
2. You are looking for a flat in the town for your parents (size/rent/location etc.)
3. Your father wants to buy a second-hand car (cost/type/condition etc.)
4. Your parents are looking for a suitable bride for your elder brother, (complexion/color/height/age/education/caste, etc.)
5. You want to buy a second-hand two-wheeler.
6. You are looking for a suitable bride for your elder brother who is settled in England as a doctor.
7. Your real-estate company has started constructing 2/3 bedroom flats in your area. Invite customers to buy them.
8. Your parents are looking for a tutor for your younger brother who is in Class IV.
9. A young man in your area has been missing for quite some time.
(7) Book Today. 2/3 bedroom flats in centrally located Nayapalli area. Only 4.25 to 6.00 lakhs. Finance available. Construction underway. Contact Metro Builders M4 – 10 Acharya Vihar, BBSR. Ph. 560821.
(8) Wanted Maths/Science tutor for IV Class student – Convent. Teachers with English medium background and 5/6 yrs Exp. may contact 542331 between 6 am to 9 am and 6 pm to 9 pm. Handsome remuneration.
(9) Missing fair young man with earrings – 22/5’4″. Knows Oriya and Telugu. Missing since September 2009. Last seen with blue jeans and white shirts. Informants will be rewarded Ph. 552462.