Odisha State Board BSE Odisha 8th Class English Solutions Test-1 Textbook Exercise Questions and Answers.
BSE Odisha Class 8 English Solutions Test-1
1. Your teacher gives you a dictation of five 3/4 lettered words. Write them. 
(ତୁମ ଶିକ୍ଷକ ତୁମକୁ ୫ଟି ତିନି କିମ୍ବା ଚାରି ଅକ୍ଷରିଆ ଇଂରାଜୀ ଶବ୍ଦ ଡାକିବେ । ତୁମେ ଶୁଣି ଲେଖିବ ।)
huge, pant, drag, old, do.
2. Your teacher will read aloud the following lines. Listen to him/her and fill in the gaps. 
(ତୁମ ଶିକ୍ଷକ ଏହି ଧାଡ଼ିଗୁଡ଼ିକ ପାଟି କରି ପଢ଼ିବେ । ତୁମେ ତାହା ସାବଧାନତା ସହ ଶୁଣି ଦ୍ବିତୀୟ ଥର ପଢ଼ିବା ପରେ ଶୂନ୍ୟସ୍ଥାନ ପୂରଣ କରିବ ।) (Questions with Answers)
“They _____________ into the king’s ___________. The ___________ man said to the king’s officer, Sir, I was ___________ to the town in my __________. This __________ wanted to __________ to the town market. He is ____________. So, I brought him to the ____________ on my horse. _________ he says that the horse is __________. Sir, ___________ help me to ___________ my horse from ____________.
“They entered into the king’s court. The first man said to the king’s officer, Sir, I was rushing to the town in my horse. This man wanted to take my horse to the town market. He is a thief. So, I brought him to the court on my horse. Now he says that the horse is not mine. Sir, please help me to get my horse from the thief.
3. There is some relationship between spelling and pronunciation. Generally, there is, ie, ea, oo, ee, or ou, in the spelling of a word; this signals a long sound. And Odia speakers of English have problems with long sounds. They have a tendency to pronounce long sounds as short sounds. Given below are some words, underline which of them have long sounds. 
(ସାଧାରଣତଃ ବନାନ ଏବଂ ଉଚ୍ଚାରଣ ମଧ୍ୟରେ କିଛିଟା ସମ୍ବନ୍ଧ ରହିଥାଏ । ସାଧାରଣତଃ ଗୋଟିଏ ଇଂରାଜୀ ଶବ୍ଦ ବନାନରେ je, ea, o୦, ce କିମ୍ବା ou ଦୀର୍ଘ ଭାବରେ ଉଚ୍ଚାରିତ ହୋଇଥା’ନ୍ତି ଏବଂ ଇଂରାଜୀ କହୁଥିବା ଓଡ଼ିଆ ବକ୍ତାମାନଙ୍କର ସମସ୍ୟା ହୋଇଥାଏ । ସେମାନେ ସାଧାରଣତଃ ଦୀର୍ଘ ଉଚ୍ଚାରଣକୁ ସୂକ୍ଷ୍ମ ଭାବରେ ଉଚ୍ଚାରଣ କରିଥା’ନ୍ତି । ତଳେ କେତେକ ଶବ୍ଦ ଦିଆଯାଇଛି । ସେଗୁଡ଼ିକରେ ଦୀର୍ଘ ଉଚ୍ଚାରିତ ଶବ୍ଦଗୁଡ଼ିକ ତଳେ ଗାର ଦିଅ ।
(Questions with Answers)
agree, market, reach, please, cover, thought, punish, village, need. speed, under, thief, steal, peace, deep, honey, seed, fields, spring, bean.
4. Write the following Odia names in English. (Teacher will give four names of persons in Odia.) (Questions with Answers) 
ମଧୁ — Madhu
ରମେଶ — Ramesh
ସଦାନନ୍ଦ — Sadananda
ବୀରେନ୍ଦ୍ର — Birendra
5. Write the following names of places in English. (Teacher will give four names of places in Odia.) 
କଟକ — Cuttack
ଭୁବନେଶ୍ୱର — Bhubaneswar
ରାଉରକେଲା — Rourkela
ସୁନ୍ଦରଗଡ଼ — Sundargarha
6. Match the words under ‘A’ with the words under ‘B’ —(who lives where). 
7. Read the following text and answer the questions. (ନିମ୍ନଲିଖ ଅନୁଚ୍ଛେଦଗୁଡ଼ିକ ପାଠ କରି ପ୍ରଦତ୍ତ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନଗୁଡ଼ିକର ଉତ୍ତର ଦିଅ ।)
1. Akbar was very fond of jewellery. He had hundreds of rings, rings in which diamonds and many other gems had been set. But all of the rings he had, he liked one of them the most. It was a large ring with a number of pearls and diamonds set in it. The ring was a present to Akbar from the Queen.
2. At Akbar’s palace, there were eight servants who looked after the Emperor’s clothes and jewellery. Every day one of these eight servants used to help Akbar get ready to go to the court. None other than these eight servants could enter the Emperor’s room.
3. One day the Emperor was getting ready to go to the court. He wanted to wear his favourite ring that day. He asked one of his servants to bring it. But the servants came back saying that he could not find the ring. Akbar ordered to search for the ring, but it could not be found.
4. Akbar was very angry. He felt that one of his servants had stolen the ring. He sent for Birbal. When Birbal came, he told him what had happened and asked him to find out the thief.
(a). Answer the following questions each in one complete sentence. [05 ]
(ଏହି ପ୍ରଶ୍ନଗୁଡ଼ିକର ଉତ୍ତର ଗୋଟିଏ ଗୋଟିଏ ପୂର୍ଣ୍ଣ ବାକ୍ୟରେ ପ୍ରକାଶ କର ।)
What was Akbar fond of?
Akbar was fond of jewellery.
Who presented the ring to Akbar?
The Queen presented the ring to Akbar.
Why was Akbar angry?
Akbar was angry when he felt that one of his servants had stolen his most favourite ring.
Who did Akbar tell what had happened?
Akbar told Birbal what had happened.
How many servants looked after Akbar’s clothes and jewellery?
Eight servants looked after Akbar’s clothes and jewellery.
(b). From the text, write five sentences about Akbar. 
(ଏହି ପାଠରୁ ପାଞ୍ଚୋଟି ବାକ୍ୟ ଆକବରଙ୍କ ସମ୍ପର୍କରେ ଲେଖ ।)
Akbar was a great Emperor of India in the Mughal period. He was a good administrator. He was liked by all classes of people in India. He married a Hindu girl and made her Queen. He was fond of jewellery.
(c). Given below are some sentences. As per the text, the sentences are not in order. Order them by putting serial numbers in brackets provided against each sentence. (Questions with Answers) 
(ନିମ୍ନରେ କେତେକ ବାକ୍ୟ ରହିଛି । ବହି ପାଠ ଅନୁଯାୟୀ ଏହା ଠିକ୍ କ୍ରମରେ ନାହିଁ । ସେମାନଙ୍କୁ ଠିକ୍ କ୍ରମରେ ଲେଖିବା ପାଇଁ ଡାହାଣ ପାଖରେ ଥିବା ଖାଲି ଘରେ କ୍ରମିକ ନମ୍ବରଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ଲେଖ ।)
Akbar was very angry. [ ]
Akbar was fond of jewellery. [ ]
The queen presented the ring to Akbar. [ ]
The ring was not to be found. [ ]
Eight servants were in charge of the jewellery. [ ]
Akbar sent for Birbal. [ ]
Akbar ordered to search for the ring. [ ]
Akbar was very angry. [ 5 ]
Akbar was fond of jewellery. [ 1 ]
The queen presented the ring to Akbar. [ 3 ]
The ring was not to be found. [ 4 ]
Eight servants were in charge of the jewellery. [ 2 ]
Akbar sent for Birbal. [ 6 ]
Akbar ordered to search for the ring. [ 7 ]
(d). See the use of the following four phrases in the text. The paragraph number is given against each phrase. Try to understand the meaning and use of the phrase from the context. Next, read the paragraph given and fill in the gaps with the right phrases. 
(ନିମ୍ନଲିଖ୍ ୪ଟି ଖଣ୍ଡବାକ୍ୟର ବ୍ୟବହାର ଲକ୍ଷ୍ୟ କର । ପ୍ରତ୍ୟେକ ଖଣ୍ଡବାକ୍ୟର ଡାହାଣରେ ଅନୁଚ୍ଛେଦର ସୂଚନା ଦିଆଯାଇଛି । ସେଗୁଡ଼ିକର ବ୍ୟବହାର ଏବଂ ଅର୍ଥ ତୁମ ବିଷୟ ମାଧ୍ୟମରେ ଜାଣିବାକୁ ଚେଷ୍ଟା କର । ଏହାପରେ ପ୍ରଦତ୍ତ ଅନୁଚ୍ଛେଦଟିକୁ ପଢ଼ି ଠିକ୍ ଭାବରେ ଖଣ୍ଡବାକ୍ୟଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ଯୋଗ କର ।)
(Question with Answer)
Find out (5), looked after (2), sent for (5), fond of (1)
Abdul had a pet baby donkey. He was very __________ the baby donkey. He _____________ the donkey very well. One day the baby donkey went somewhere. He ___________ his faithful servant Ali. He asked Ali to _____________ the baby donkey.
Abdul had a pet baby donkey. He was very fond of the baby donkey. He looked after the donkey very well. One day the baby donkey went somewhere. He sent for his faithful servant Ali. He asked Ali to find out the baby donkey.
8. Read the following text and do the tasks that.
(ନିମ୍ନ ବିଷୟଟିକୁ ପାଠ କର ଏବଂ ପ୍ରଦତ୍ତ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନଗୁଡ଼ିକର ଉତ୍ତର ଦିଅ ।)
1. Long long ago, on the bank of the river Nagabali there was a small village named Hatibadi, and at the one end of this village was the chatasali, or village school, run by Ghana Rath, where many children from villages nearby came to study Ghana Ratha taught all the subjects himself, including Mathematics, Literature and Social Sciences.
(ବହୁଦିନ ତଳେ ନାଗାବଳୀ ନଦୀ କୂଳରେ ହାତୀବାଡ଼ି ବୋଲି ଏକ କ୍ଷୁଦ୍ର ଗ୍ରାମ ଥିଲା ଏବଂ ଏହି ଗ୍ରାମର ଶେଷମୁଣ୍ଡରେ ଗୋଟିଏ ଚାଟଶାଳୀ ବା ଗାଁ ସ୍କୁଲ ଘନରଥ ନାମକ ଏକ ବ୍ୟକ୍ତିଙ୍କଦ୍ୱାରା ଚାଲୁଥୁଲା, ଯେଉଁଠି ଆଖାପାଖ ଗାଁର ବହୁ ପିଲା ପଢ଼ିବାକୁ ଆସୁଥିଲେ । ଘନରଥ ନିଜେ ଗଣିତ, ସାହିତ୍ୟ ଓ ସାମାଜିକ ଶିକ୍ଷାସହ ସବୁ ବିଷୟ ଶିକ୍ଷାଦାନ କରୁଥିଲେ ।)
2. By the side of the Chatasali ran a narrow road that led to the river and on this road, early every morning, you could see a boy named Hatia riding a donkey and leading another by a rope. He was the son of a washerman. But as his parents were dead, he supported himself by washing the dirty clothes in the village. Every day he took a donkey load of clothes to the river, where he washed and dried them. When his work was finished, he returned home by the same road, together with his two donkeys. One was named Bhadra and the other Madri.
(ଚାଟଶାଳୀର ପାଖଦେଇ ନଈ ଆଡ଼କୁ ଗୋଟିଏ ଅଣଓସାରିଆ ରାସ୍ତା ଯାଉଥିଲା ଏବଂ ଏହି ରାସ୍ତା ଉପରେ ତୁମେ ଦେଖିବ ପ୍ରତିଦିନ ବଢ଼ିଭୋରରୁ ହଟିଆ ନାମରେ ଜଣେ ଯୁବକ ଗୋଟିଏ ଗଧ ଉପରେ ଚଢ଼ି ଏବଂ ଆଉ ଗୋଟାକୁ ଦଉଡ଼ିରେ ବାନ୍ଧି ନେଇ ଯାଉଥବ । ସେ ଗୋଟିଏ ଧୋବାର ପୁଅ । ତା’ର ବାପ ମା’ ମରିଯାଇଥିବାରୁ ସେ ନିଜେ ସବୁ ମଇଳା ଲୁଗାପଟା ଗାଁ ଲୋକଙ୍କର ନେଇ ନଈକୁ ଯାଏ । ପ୍ରତ୍ୟେକ ଦିନ ଏକ ଗଧ ବୋଝେଇ ଗାଡ଼ିରେ ମଇଳା ଲୁଗା ନଦୀକୁ ନେଉଥିଲା । ଯେଉଁଠାରେ ସେ ତାକୁ ଧୋଇସାରି ଶୁଖାଇ ଦେଉଥିଲା ଏବଂ ସେଇ ବାଟଦେଇ ପୁଣି ଘରକୁ ଫେରୁଥିଲା ଦି ଗଧଙ୍କୁ ଧରି । ଗୋଟିକର ନାମ ଥିଲା ଭଦ୍ର ଏବଂ ଅନ୍ୟଟିର ନାମ ମାଦ୍ରି ।)
(a). Answer the following questions. 
(ନିମ୍ନଲିଖ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନଗୁଡ଼ିକର ଉତ୍ତର ଦିଅ ।)
What was the name of the river?
The name of the river was Nagabali.
What was the name of the village?
The name of the village was Hatibadi.
What was the name of the teacher?
The name of the teacher was Ghana Ratha.
What subjects did Ghana Ratha teach?
Ghana Ratha taught all the subjects including Mathematics. Literature and Social Science.
What was the name of the boy?
The name of the boy was Hatia.
How many donkeys did Hatia have?
Hatia had two donkeys.
What were their names?
The names of his two donkeys were Bhadra and Madri.
(b). Write four sentences about Hatia. 
(ହଟିଆ ବିଷୟରେ ୪ଟି ବାକ୍ୟ ଲେଖ ।)
(Question with Answer)
1. Hatia was the son of a washerman.
2. Every day he was going to the rider riding a donkey and leading another by a rope for washing clothes.
3. His parents were dead.
4. Every day he took a donkey load of clothes to the river and there he washed and dried them.
(c). Rewrite paragraph 1 of the text replacing the following words/ phrases at the right places. 
(ପ୍ରଥମ ଅନୁଚ୍ଛେଦକୁ ଆଉ ଥରେ ଲେଖ ଯେପରିକି ନିମ୍ନରେ ପ୍ରଦତ୍ତ ଇଂରାଜୀ ଶବ୍ଦଗୁଡ଼ିକ ତାଙ୍କ ମଧ୍ୟରେ ରହିବେ ।)
Mahanadi, town, Cuttack, college, principal, Satpathy, Odia, Sanskrit and English.
Long long ago on the bank of the river Mahanadi. There was a small town named Cuttack and at the one end of this small town was a college or Mahavidyalaya run by Mr Satpathy. Where many children from the town nearby came to study. Mr Satapathy taught all the subjects himself including Odia, Sanskrit and English.