Odisha State Board CHSE Odisha Class 11 Alternative English Solutions Grammar Tense and Aspect Exercise Questions and Answers.
CHSE Odisha Class 11 Alternative English Grammar Tense and Aspect
What is a Tense?
A ‘Tense’ refers to a verb form or series of verb forms which expresses/express a time relation. Let us consider a verb ‘write’ The verb ‘write’ has two forms.
1) Present form ‘write’
2) Past form ‘wrote’
Therefore, according to these two forms, Tense can be classified into two types, such as
1) Present Tense,
2) Past Tense.
There is no future tense, as there is a verb form of future. Let us consider these sentences.
1) He will do the work tomorrow.
2) I shall attend the meeting tomorrow.
Then, what about these sentence sentences. Actually these sentences are in future time. Because, shall, will etc. are the symbol of future time. These sentences imply that the subjects are going to do a work in future time. Hence, due to lack of verb form, it is not called future tense, but it is called Future Time.
Mark these sentences :
1. Tendulkar plays cricket every day.
2. Tendulkar is playing cricket today.
3. Tendulkar has played cricket.
4. Tendulkar has been playing cricket for the last twenty years. In the above sentences, the verb forms are different.
In sentence -1 – ‘plays’.
In sentence -2 – ‘is playing
In sentence -3 – ‘has played’
In sentence -4 – ‘has been playing’
According to these different verb forms, each tense is divided into four different forms.
1) Present/past Indefinite (simple).
2) Present/past continuous.
3) Present/past perfect.
4) Present/past perfect continuous.
1. Symbols of simple present
The main verb in present form ‘s’ or ‘es’ attached to it.
Example: He writes a letter.
2. Symbols of Present Progressive/ Continuous- is/am/are + M.V.+ing.
3. Symbols of Present Perfect- has/have+V.P.P.
4. Symbols of Present Perfect- has been/have been+M.V.+ing.
5. Symbols of Simple Past- M.V. in past form, or did:
6. Symbols of -Past Progressive/
7. Symbols of Past Perfect- had+.V.P.P.
8. Symbols of Past Perfect Continuous had been + M.V.+ing.
1. In case of habitual work of subject, it refers to simple present or past according to time.
2. In case of continuity, it refers to Progressive or Continuous.
3. In case of completion of work, it refers to perfect.
4. In case of a long continuity of doing a work which is going on even today, it- refers to Perfect Continuous.
A. Fill in the blanks with the correct tense forms of the verbs given in the brackets.
1. The rose __________sweet, (smell)
2. What you__________now? (do)
3. At present I _________ a novel, (write)
4. I shall let you know when I ___________ (know)
5. How long you _________ for me. (wait)
6. Since when you _________here ? (be)
7. I _________what his name is. (forget)
8. I _________in this college since 1995.(teach)
9. I _________to pass this year, (try)
10. It _________ all the morning, (rain)
1. The rose smells sweet.
2. What are you doing now.
3. At present I am writing a novel.
4. I shall let you know when I have none.
5. How long have you been waiting for me?
6. Since when have you been here?
7. I have forgotten what his name is.
8. I have been teaching in this college since 1995.
9. I am trying to pass this year.
10. It has been raining all the morning.
B. Fill in the blanks with suitable forms of verbs given in the brackets.
1. The patient __________ before the doctor came, (die)
2. The bridge collapsed when the bus __________ on it. (move)
3. When Reena __________Meerta was dancing, (sing)
4. What you ___________when I rang up ? (do)
5. The children ran away, when they _________the police, (see).
6. I wish I _________ a bird. (be)
7. I wish I __________ in the exam. (pass)
8. He _________ to me just now. (telephone)
9. The man died because, he _________medicine, (not take)
10.I could not recognise him, because I___________ him before. (not see)
11. He looked as if he _________for many days. (not wash)
12. From morning to night I (read) __________ a novel.
13. I came in white he __________T.V (watch)
14. It _________last year that we went to Puri.(be)
15. Until the teacher _________ the students could not understand. (explain)
1. The patient had died before the doctor came.
2. The bridge collapsed when the bus was moving on it.
3. When Reena was singing, Meena was dancing.
4. What were you doing when I rang up.
5. The children ran away when they saw the police.
6. I wish I were a bird.
7. I wish I had passed in the examination.
8. He telephoned to me just riots.
9. The man died because he did not take medicine.
10. I could not recognize him because I had not seen him before.
11. He looked as if he had not washed for many days.
12. From morning to night, I was reading a novel.
13. I came in while he was watching TV.
14. It was last year that we wen£ to Puri.
15. Until the teacher had. explained, the students could not understand.
C. Fill in the blank spaces with suitable tense forms with the verbs., given in the brackets.
1. When I reach home, it _________ (rain)
2. We__________till he comes. (wait).
3. They _________ here tomorrow, (be)
4. I _________my reading by the time he returns, (finish)
5. Who _________the letter now? (post)
6. If I help you, you _________ (help)
7. I_________two lessons by then, (complete)
8. He__________ his degree in two years time. (take)
1. When I reach home, it will be raining.
2. We stall wait, till he comes.
3. They will be here tomorrow.
4. I shall have finished my reading by the time he returns.
5. Who will post the letter now?
6. If I help you, you will help me,
7. I shall have completed two lessons by then.
8. He will have taken his degree in two years time.
D. Fill in the blanks with correct tense fourth of the verbs given in the brackets.
1. Mr. Dash just _________ (resign)
2. You can go home if you _________ your study. (finish)
3. You _________ my friend yesterday? (meet)
4. Father _________ a bar next week, (buy)
5. Akash _________ to college every day, but today he _________ to Cuttack.
6. Unless he invites me I _________ to his party. (not go)
7. I _________ him if I were you. (kill)
8. The report already_________ that you at fault. (prove,, be)
9. He told me that he _________him there, (not see)
10. The man ___________ to be mad. (appear)
11. The boy jumped off the bus when it ___________. (more)
12. If you had invited me, I _________ your party. (attend)
13. I wish I _________ a bird.
14. He ________the circus if he had been here, (see)
1. Mr. Dash has just resigned.
2. You can go home if you have finished your study.
3. Did you meet my friend yesterday?
4. Father is going to buy a new car next week.
5. Akash goes to college every day, but today he is going to Cuttack.
6. Unless he invites me I shall not go to his party.
7. I would kill him if I were you.
8. The report has already proved that you are at fault.
9. He told me that he had not seen him there.
10. The man appears to be mad.
11. The boy jumped off the bus when it was moving.
12. If you had invited me, I would have attended your party.
13. I wish I were a bird.
14. He could have seen if he had been here.