Odisha State Board CHSE Odisha Class 11 Invitation to English 3 Solutions Telegram, E-mail Writing Textbook Activity Questions and Answers.
CHSE Odisha 11th Class English Telegram, E-mail Writing
An ordinary letter may take two or three days to reach the addressee; if the message is urgent we send a telegram. Telegrams are the most common means of sending urgent messages if has an advantage over the telephone in that a written communication will be available for future reference. When you write a telegram, you have to limit your meaning to, the fewest possible words, since the amount you have to pay depends on the number of words you use in your telegram. In reducing the length of a message, you should not make it vague.
Remember the following points :
1. You can leave out articles, prepositions, and similar words that do not carry meaning in themselves but help to construct grammatical sentences.
2. Time or quantity or number could be clearly specified.
3. The address must be complete.
4. When in doubt, add a word rather than omit it.
5. Use capital letters.
Here are some messages which need to be sent as telegrams. Go through them carefully, strike off the words you think unnecessary and rewrite each one in the form of a telegram.
The first one has been done for you.
1. (My) bag (has) (been) stolen. (I) (have) no money send Rs. 1000 immediately (in) (the) care (of) ELTI Hostel.
Hence, the telegram is to be written in the following manner:
Now convert the following messages into telegrams :
2. Money has been sent. You should contact the Warden on Wednesday. Write back. Father.
3. I am unable to arrive on Tuesday. There is a meeting on Wednesday. You may postpone it to Friday.
4. I am reaching you with my family on 20th February by the Konark Express.
(2) MONEY SENT (.) CONTACT WARDEN WEDNESDAY (.) WRITE BACK. FATHER
(3) NOT ARRIVING TUESDAY (.) MEETING WEDNESDAY (.) POSTPONE TO FRIDAY
(4) REACHING WITH FAMILY TWENTIETH FEBRUARY KONARK
Here are some letters which you have to convert into telegrams. Go through them carefully and identify the main ideas, which the telegrams should contain. The main ideas of the first letter have been identified and underlined.
1. “We haven’t heard from you for more than two months. We have written a number of letters to you. but you haven’t written us back. We are extremely worried. We hope and pray you are not ill. Please send a wire immediately about your welfare. If we do not hear from you this week, we will come to
2. “There is nothing to worry. I’m perfectly well. I couldn’t write because I had gone to IIT, Kharagpur on a study tour. Then I visited a friend in Calcutta for a few days. I am sorry for not writing.”
3. “Last evening Grandmother complained of severe pain in the stomach. We sent for a doctor. He gave her an injection and asked us to move her to hospital. He said her appendix had to be removed. The operation is on 10th. Mother wants you to come.”
4. “Our college is organising an educational tour to South India for 15 days. The tour will be very useful. We will be visiting many temples, museums and art galleries. All my friends are going. Please send Rs. 3,000 immediately. On my return I’ll write about the places we have visited.”
(1) NOT HEARD FROM YOU EXTREMELY WORRIED SEND WIRE IMMEDIATELY ABOUT YOUR WELFARE
(2) DON’T WORRY PERFECTLY WELL HAD GONE STUDY TOUR AND COULD NOT WRITE SORRY
(3) GRANDMOTHER HOSPITALISED APPENDIX OPERATION TENTH COME
(4) COLLEGE ORGANISING SOUTH INDIA EDUCATIONAL TOUR ALL FRIENDS GOING SEND THREE THOUSAND IMMEDIATELY
A number of situations have been described below. You are required to draft a telegram to suit each situation. A part of each telegram is given. Can you complete the telegram?
1. Three months ago, that is, on 15 October, you ordered a dictionary from the Modem Book Depot, Station Square, Bhubaneswar. You have not received the book. You want the shop to send the book without further delay.
2. You are appearing for the +2 Examination. Unfortunately, you have not received your Admit Card. You want the council authorities to allow you to take the examination pending receipt of the Admit Card.
3. You are returning home (from Bangalore) for the holidays. You had written to your father that you would arrive on Sunday morning, but as berths are not available, you have to change your travel plans. You will now arrive two days later, by a different train. Draft a telegram informing your father of the change.
4. Prof. Mishra is in Delhi on tour. He was supposed to return to Bhubaneswar for an important meeting but has been held up in Delhi because of bad weather. He wants to inform his office of what happened and to apologize for not attending the meeting. Draft a telegram for him.
(1) DICTIONARY ORDERED FIFTEEN OCTOBER NOT RECEIVED SENT IMMEDIATELY
(2) PLUS TWO ARTS ADMIT CARDS NOT RECEIVED PERMIT APPEARING EXAMINATION PENDING RECEIPT
(3) BERTHS NOT AVAILABLE CHANGED PLANS ARRIVING TUESDAY HOWRAH MAIL
(4) STRANDED DUE TO BAD WEATHER AND UNABLE TO ATTEND MEETING APOLOGIES
Read the following situations and draft suitable telegrams for each.
1. Your brother has booked tickets by the Howrah Mail and will arrive from Madras on Saturday morning. On Thursday, there is an announcement on TV that a cyclone is likely to hit coastal Orissa in the next 48 hours. Draft a telegram to be sent to your brother asking him to cancel the journey.
2. You have received a 13-volume set of Brilliant Tutorials Elite 2009. But when you unpack the parcel you find that volume 10 is missing. Draft a telegram to the bookseller.
(1) POSTPONE JOURNEY CANCEL TICKETS DANGEROUS CYCLONE HITTING ORISSA COAST SATURDAY
(2) RECEIVED BRILLIANT ELITE SET. VOLUME TEN IS MISSING SEND IT IMMEDIATELY
E-mail is a medium that has revolutionized the way in which we communicate with each other. It is relatively now very popular E-mail makes it possible to communicate cheaply and almost instantly with people anywhere in the world – provided they have access to a computer. You can send any type of message, from a single word to a book-length document complete with pictures and sound files. The recipient can respond at once or think carefully before replying. You can communicate just with one person or with a large group, every member of which can participate as much or as little as they wish. E-mails inhabit a shape somewhere between personal meetings, telephones, and letters. Like telephones, they are quick and inexpensive. They are a fairly new technology. The format of e-mail is quite simple, just like the telegram form, but there is no room for capital letters in the former. Write e-mail IDs after TV: and from :
Now write e-mails for the 4 situations given in Activity 3.
From: bckhuntia; g mail.com
Re: Request for dictionary
Despite my order to you in connection with a dictionary on 15 October, you haven’t sent it yet. I would request to despatch the same as soon as possible.
To : secretary council @ g mail.com
From : kunal firstname.lastname@example.org
Re: Request for Admit card
Since I have not received my admit card for the +2 Final Examination, I would request you to allow me to take the examination pending the receipt of Admit Card.
To : sckhuntia®yahoo mail.com
From : vedadya khuntia@g mail.com
Date : 11.9.20
Since berths are not available, I cannot reach home on Sunday morning. I will arrive two days later, by a different train.
To: vice-chancellor, Ravenshaw college@yahoo mail.com
From: pmishra@g mail.com
Re: Apology for not attending the meeting
Since I have been stranded in Delhi, due to bad weather, I am unable to attend the meeting and beg apology for the same.