Odisha State Board BSE Odisha Class 9 English Grammar Book Solutions Chapter 10 Adverbs and Adverbials Textbook Exercise Activity Questions and Answers.
BSE Odisha Class 9 English Grammar Solutions Chapter 10 Adverbs and Adverbials
Look at the answers to the following questions carefully.
(ତଳଲିଖତ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନଗୁଡ଼ିକର ଉତ୍ତରଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ଭଲ ଭାବରେ ଦେଖ ।)
1. (a) How did she sing? (ସେ କିପରି ଗାଇଲା?)
(b) She sang beautifully. (ସେ ଭଲ ଭାବରେ ଗାଇଲା ।)
2. (a) When did you see him? (ତୁମେ ତାକୁ କେତେବେଳେ ଦେଖିଲ ?)
(b) I saw him yesterday. (ମୁଁ ତାଙ୍କୁ ଗତକାଲି ଦେଖୁଲି ।)
3. (a) Where were the children playing? (ପିଲାମାନେ କେଉଁଠାରେ ଖେଳୁଥିଲେ ?)
(b) They were playing in the park. (ସେମାନେ ଉଦ୍ୟାନରେ ଖେଳୁଥିଲେ ।)
4. (a) How often does he come here ? (ସେ କେତେଥର ଏଠାକୁ ଆସନ୍ତି ?)
(b) He comes here everyday. (ସେ ଏଠାକୁ ପ୍ରତିଦିନ ଆସନ୍ତି ।)
ପ୍ରଥମ ବାକ୍ୟରେ beautifully, ଦ୍ବିତୀୟ ବାକ୍ୟରେ yesterday, ତୃତୀୟ ବାକ୍ୟରେ in the park ଓ ଚତୁର୍ଥ ବାକ୍ୟରେ every day ହେଉଛି ଗୋଟିଏ ଗୋଟିଏ Adverb । କାରଣ ଏଗୁଡ଼ିକ Verbs ବା କ୍ରିୟାପଦଗୁଡ଼ିକର ଅର୍ଥକୁ add ବା ଯୋଗକରୁଛନ୍ତି ବା ବିଶେଷିତ କରୁଛନ୍ତି ।
What is an Adverb ? (ଏକ କ୍ରିୟାବିଶେଷଣ କ’ଣ ?)
Adverb is a word that qualifies a verb or an adjective or an adverb. (ବାକ୍ୟରେ ଥିବା ଗୋଟିଏ କ୍ରିୟାପଦ ବା ବିଶେଷଣ ପଦ ବା କ୍ରିୟାବିଶେଷଣ ପଦକୁ ବିଶେଷିତ କରୁଥିବା ଶବ୍ଦକୁ Adverb କୁହାଯାଏ ।)
(i) Harish is walking slowly.
slowly (ଧୀରେ ଧୀରେ) = adverb
How is walking? (କେମିତି ଚାଲୁଛି ?)
(modifies the verb ‘ is walking’.)
(ii) Harish is too slow to work.
too (ବହୁତ) = adverb (How slow?) (କେତେ ଧୀର)
(modifies the adjective ‘slow’.)
(iii) Harish is walking very slowly.
slowly – adverb very – adverb
How slowly? (କେତେ ଧୀରେ ଧୀରେ?)
Ans. very (ବହୁତ)
(modifies the adverb ‘ slowly’.)
( ବିଶେଷ୍ୟ/ ସର୍ବନାମର ବିଶେଷକ)
|(i) Ranjan is a careful driver.
(driver = noun)
(ରଞ୍ଜନ ଜଣେ ଯତ୍ନବାନ ଚାଳକ ।)
(ii) Minu was polite.
(Minu = noun)
(ମିନୁ ନମ୍ର ଥିଲା ।)
|(i) Ranjan drives carefully.
(drives = verb)
(ରଞ୍ଜନ ଯତ୍ନର ସହିତ ଗାଡ଼ି ଚଳାଏ ।)
(ii) Minu behaved politely.
(behaved = verb)
(ମିନୁ ନମ୍ରତାର ସହିତ ବ୍ୟବହାର ଦେଖାଇଲା।)
|(i) Pintu is a friendly fellow.
(ii) Our English teacher is clever.
|(i) Pintu behaves in a friendly manner.
(ii) Our English teacher talks in a clever
Adverb ଗୋଟିଏ ମାତ୍ର ଶବ୍ଦକୁ ନେଇ ତିଆରି ହୋଇଥିବାବେଳେ Adverbial ଦୁଇ ବା ତିନିରୁ ଅଧିକ ଶବ୍ଦକୁ ନେଇ ଗଠିତ ।
|nicely ( ସୁନ୍ଦର)||in a nice manner / way (ସୁନ୍ଦର ଭାବରେ)|
|politely (ନମ୍ର)||in a polite manner / way (ନମ୍ର ଭାବରେ)|
Formation of Adverb (କ୍ରିୟା ବିଶେଷଣର ଗଠନ)
(1) Adding’ ward’ to show direction
[ଗତିପଥ ସୂଚକ ଅର୍ଥରେ ‘ward’ (ଆଡ଼କୁ) ଯୋଗ କରି] :
(i) The soldiers marched forward.
(ii) Children go homeward after school.
Others are onward (ଆଗକୁ ଆଗକୁ), upward (ଉପରକୁ), downward (ତଳକୁ), eastward ( ଆଡ଼କୁ) southward (ଦକ୍ଷିଣ ଆଡ଼କୁ), forward (ଆଗକୁ), seaward (ସମୁଦ୍ର ଆଡ଼କୁ), etc.
(2) Adding-‘wise’ (ଅନୁସାରେ) to show manner [ଅବସ୍ଥା ଅର୍ଥରେ ‘wise’ ଯୋଗ କରି] :
clockwise (ବାମରୁ ଡାହାଣକୁ), breadthwise (ଚଉଡ଼ା ଅନୁସାରେ), classwise (ଶ୍ରେଣୀ ଅନୁଯାୟୀ),subjectwise (ବିଷୟବସ୍ତୁ ଅନୁସାରେ), lengthwise (ଲମ୍ବ ଅନୁସାରେ) ।
(3) Prefixing ‘a’ to some nouns or adjectives [କେତେକ ବିଶେଷ୍ୟ ବା ବିଶେଷଣ ପଦର ଆରମ୍ଭରେ । ମୂଳରେ a ବ୍ୟବହାର କରି / ଯୋଡ଼ି]
afresh (ନୂଆକରି), anew (ନୂଆକରି), aside (ଗୋଟିଏ ପାଖକୁ), aloud (ବଡ଼ପାଟିରେ), afar (ଦୂରରୁ), along (ରାସ୍ତାର ଗୋଟିଏ ପାର୍ଶ୍ଵଦେଇ), ahead (ଆଗରେ), across (ଅନ୍ୟପାଖରେ) । (ଗୋଟିଏ ପଟରୁ ଅନ୍ୟପଟକୁ), abroad (ବିଦେଶ), around (ଚାରିଆଡ଼େ), etc.
(4) Adding+ly’ to the adjectives (ବିଶେଷଣ ପଦରେ ‘ ly? ଯୋଗ କରି) :
|Adjective||Suffix- ‘ly ’ (Adverb)||Odia Meanings|
|gentle (ଭଦ୍ରା ଧୀର)||gently||ଭଦ୍ରାମି ସହିତ / ଧୀର ଭାବରେ|
|easy ( ସହଜ)||easily||ସହଜରେ|
|true ( ସତ୍ୟ ସଚ୍ଚାଟ)||truly||ସଚ୍ଚାଟଦର ସହିତ|
|full (ପୂର୍ଣୃ)||fully||ସଂପୂର୍ଣ୍ଣ ଭାବରେ|
|bright (ଉଜ୍ଜ୍ବଳ)||brightly||ଉଜ୍ଜ୍ବଳଦର ସହିତ|
|poor (କଦର୍ଯ୍ୟ)||poorly||କଦର୍ଯ୍ୟ ଭାବରେ|
|comfortable ( ଆରାମଦାୟକ)||comfortably||ଆରାମଦାୟକ ଭାବରେ|
(5) Original Adverbs (ମୌଳିକ କ୍ରିୟାବିଶେଷଣ) :
fast (ଦ୍ରୁତ ଗତିରେ), late (ଡେରିରେ), hard (ଜୋର୍ରେ), well (ଭଲ ଭାବରେ), better (ଆହୁରି ଭଲ ଭାବରେ ପୂର୍ବାପେକ୍ଷା )
P.T. Usha runs fast. (ଦ୍ରୁତଗତିରେ)
It is raining hard. (ମୂଷଳଧାରାରେ)
The teacher has beaten my brother hard. (ନିଷ୍ଠୁର ଭାବରେ)
Are you working hard for your exams ? (କଠିନ ପରିଶ୍ରମ କରି)
India played well in the 2nd test. (ଭଲ ଭାବରେ)
He often comes to school late. (ଡେରି କରି)
Types of Adverbs (କ୍ରିୟାବିଶେଷଣର ପ୍ରକାରଭେଦ)
(1) Adverb of Manner (ଅବସ୍ଥ।)
(2) (Verb ରେ ବା କିପରି ଲଗାଇ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନ କଲେ)
They walked slowly. (How did walk?)
He answered my question brilliantly. (How did answer?)
The dog is running fast. (How is running?)
Adverb of Time (ସମୟ):
(Verb ରେ at what time (କେଉଁ ସମୟରେ) / when (କେବେ) ଲଗାଇ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନ କଲେ)
(i) We go to school at 10 a.m.
(ii) The train will arrive soon.
(iii) Father has just gone out.
(iv) He has already posted the letter.
(3) Adverb of Place (ସ୍ନାନ) :
(Verb ରେ କେଉଁଠାରେ ବା where ଲଗାଇ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନ କଲେ)
(i) Mr Mishra lives upstairs (ଉପର ମହଲାରେ).
(ii) Have you seen him anywhere?
(iii) He is nowhere to be found.
(iv) So many children are in the park.
(v) English is spoken all over the world.
(4) Adverb of Frequency (ବାରମ୍ବାରତା) :
(Verb ରେ how often ବା କେତେଥର ଲଗାଇ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନ କଲେ)
(i) Have you ever been to Agra ?
(ii) We always speak English in school.
(iii) Mother usually cooks our meals at 11 a.m.
(iv) Uncle often comes to our house.
(5) Adverb of Degree (ପରିମାଣ) :
(Adjective ରେ how much ବା କେତେ ପରିମାଣରେ ଲଗାଇ ପ୍ରଶ୍ନ କଲେ)
(i) It is very cold today.
(ii) India won the match quite easily.
(iii) Manali is singing fairly well.
(6) Sentential Adverb:
Some adverbs used in the first / beginning of sentences giving the idea about the entire sentences, are called Sentential Adverbs. (ବାକ୍ୟର ମୂଳରେ ବ୍ୟବହୃତ କେତେକ କ୍ରିୟାବିଶେଷଣ ଯାହା ସଂପୂର୍ଣ୍ଣ ବାକ୍ୟ ବିଷୟରେ ଧାରଣା ଦେଇଥାଏ, ସେଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ Sentential Adverbs କୁହାଯାଏ ।)
ଏଭଳି adverbs ହେଲା fortunately (ସୌଭାଗ୍ୟବଶତଃ) / luckily, unfortunately/unluckily ( ଦୁର୍ଭାଗ୍ୟବଶତଃ), in fact (ପ୍ରକୃତରେ), perhaps (ବୋଧହୁଏ), of course(ଅବଶ୍ୟ), possibly (ସମ୍ଭବତଃ),
(i) Fortunately the child survived the accident.
(ii) Of course the questions on English were stiff.
(iii) Perhaps the train will reach late today.
(iv) In fact India is a great country.
Confusing Adverbs (ଦ୍ବନ୍ଦ୍ବ ସୃଷ୍ଟିକାରୀ କ୍ରିୟାବିଶେଷଣ):
(1) hard: He works hard for the exam. (ପରିଶ୍ରମ କରି)
hardly (କ୍ୱଚିତ୍ ବା କେବେ କେମିତି) : Uncle hardly comes to our house.
(2) near (close by) (ପାଖରେ): I found the school quite near.
nearly (almost) (ପ୍ରାୟ) : He nearly lost the match.
(3) Free (without paying) (ବିନା ମୂଲ୍ୟରେ/ ମାଗଣାରେ) : Father got this mobile free.
Freely (ମୁକ୍ତରେ/ ଅବାଧରେ/ବିନା ଭୟରେ) : Animals move freely in the forest.
(4) late (after the stipulated time) (ଡେରିରେ): The train arrived late today.
lately (in the recent past) (ନିକଟ ଅତୀତରେ): The price of vegetables has gone up lately.
(5) deep (ଭିତରକୁ): He went deep into the water.
deeply (ଗଭୀର ଭାବରେ): I love you deeply.
(6) short (କମ୍/ହ୍ରାସ) : Money ran short.
shortly (ନିକଟ ଭବିଷ୍ୟତରେ) : Our examinations begin shortly.
(7) direct (ସିଧାସଳଖ/ ବାଟରେ ନ ରହି) : He went direct to school.
directly (ମୁଣ୍ଡ ଉପରେ): The sun is directly overhead at noon.
Use of ‘Good’ and ‘Well’ :
1. Madhuri is a good dancer.
[ଏଠାରେ good = adjective (dancer = noun)]
Madhuri dances well.
[ଏଠାରେ well = adverb (dances = verb)]
2. Are you well today?
[ଏଠାରେ well = adjective (in good health)]
Adverbials (କ୍ରିୟାବିଶେଷଣ ବାକ୍ୟାଶ) :
ଉଭୟ Adverb ଓ Adverbial ର ଅର୍ଥ ଏକ । ଏକାଧିକ ଶବ୍ଦକୁ ନେଇ Adverbial ଗଠିତ । ଯେପରି –
1. Adverb Phrase:
The cricketers played wonderfully well.
The boy is studying very well.
2. Prepositional Phrase (ବିଭକ୍ତିସୂଚକ ଅବ୍ୟୟ ଯଥା in, at, with ଇତ୍ୟାଦିରୁ ଆରମ୍ଭ ହୋଇଥବା):
Father isn’t at home.
Father returned from his office.
I cut the apple with a knife.
3. Noun Phrase :
Mihir lives next door.
I got your letter this morning.
Position of Adverbs:
1. Front Position (ବାକ୍ୟର ପ୍ରଥମରେ କର୍ତ୍ତା ବା Subject ପୂର୍ବରୁ)
Perhaps the man is blind.
Sometimes he comes to my house.
2. Mid-position (ସାହାଯ୍ୟକାରୀ କ୍ରିୟା ପରେ ବା ମୁଖ୍ୟ କ୍ରିୟା ପୂର୍ବରୁ)
We never tell lies. (before the main verb ‘tell’)
We have never told lies. (after the helping verb ‘have’ before the main verb ‘told’) My watch is always breaking down. (helping verb ‘is’ ପରେ । main verb ‘breaking’ ପୂର୍ବରୁ)
3. End-position (ବାକ୍ୟର ଶେଷରେ)
He visits this place occasionally.
Uncle is coming to our house tomorrow.
The girl painted the picture carefully.
Degree of Adverbs:
Like adjectives, adverbs have three Degrees.
|Positive Degree||Comparative Degree||Superlative Degree|
|badly||more badly||most badly|
Use of Some Important Adverbs
1. Yet (ଏ ପର୍ଯ୍ୟନ୍ତ) [ପ୍ରଶ୍ନସୂଚକ ଓ ନାସ୍ତିସୂଚକ ବାକ୍ୟରେ] :
Has the postman come yet? (Interrogative)
No, he hasn’t come yet. (Negative)
(2) Still (ଏପର୍ଯ୍ୟନ୍ତ)
[ପ୍ରଶ୍ନରେ ଓ ଅସ୍ତିସୂଚକ ଅର୍ଥରେ (ନିର୍ଦ୍ଦିଷ୍ଟ ସମୟରେ ଅବଧୂ ପରେ)] :
Are you still working? (Question)
Bishu is still sleeping. (Positive)
(3) Already (before now) [ଏକ ନିର୍ଦ୍ଦିଷ୍ଟ ସମୟର ଅବଧୂ ପରେ already] :
Question (ପ୍ରଶ୍ନ) Has mother already made lunch?
Affirmative (ଅସ୍ତିସୂଚକ): Nilima has already posted the letter.
(4) No longer/ no more [not any longer / not anymore (ଆଉ ନୁହେଁ)] :
(i) Father doesn’t go to the office anymore.
Or, Father no more goes to the office. (ବାପା ଆଉ ଅଫିସ୍ ଯାଉ ନାହାନ୍ତି ।)
(ii) I don’t live in Cuttack any longer.
Or, I no longer live in Cuttack.
(5) Ago (ପୂର୍ବେ/ପୂର୍ବରୁ) [Past simple tense ସହିତ ବ୍ୟବହୃତ ହୁଏ ।]
I met (Past simple) her ten days ago. (ମୁଁ ତାକୁ ଦଶଦିନ ପୂର୍ବରୁ ଭେଟିଥୁଲି ।)
The accident occurred a week ago. (Past simple) (ଦୁର୍ଘଟଣାଟି ଏକ ସପ୍ତାହ ପୂର୍ବରୁ ଘଟିଥୁଲା ।)
(6) Never (କେବେ ନୁହେଁ), Ever (କେବେ)
I have never seen Gandhi.
Have you ever seen Gandhi? (ତୁମେ କେବେ ଗାନ୍ଧିଜୀଙ୍କୁ ଦେଖୁଛ ?)
(7) Seldom / hardly / scarcely (କ୍ଵଚିତ୍ / କେବେ କେମିତି) :
Mr. Das hardly / seldom / scarcely sleeps by day.
Or, Hardly / seldom does Mr Das sleep by day. (ବାପା କ୍ଵଚିତ୍ ଦିନରେ ଶୁଅନ୍ତି ।)
(8) Quite / too / so (ଏତେ / ପୂରାପୂରି) :
The girl was so happy. (ଝିଅଟି ଏତେ । ଅତ୍ୟନ୍ତ ଖୁସି ଥିଲା । )
The man is quite/so/too tired. (ଲୋକଟି ଅତ୍ୟନ୍ତ କ୍ଳାନ୍ତ ।) too …….. to (ନାହିଁ ଅର୍ଥରେ)
The tea is too strong for me to drink. (ଚା’ଟି ଏତେ ଗରମ ଯେ ମୁଁ ପିଇପାରୁ ନାହିଁ ।)
(9) Enough (ଯଥେଷ୍ମ) :
I am strong (adjective) enough to lift the box.
(ବାକ୍ସଟିକୁ ଉଠାଇବାରେ ମୁଁ ଯଥେଷ୍ଟ ଶକ୍ତିଶାଳୀ ।)
Word Order of Adverbs :
1. Manner + Place + Time (MPT)
(i) The teacher taught the poem beautifully in class yesterday. [ଏଠାରେ beautifully Manner, in the class = place, yesterday = time.]
It is raining hard (manner) there (place) now (time).
(ii) Place + Manner + Time (PMT)
[With words of movement | ବା ଗତିସୂଚକ ଶବ୍ଦ (go, went, come, return, fly, reach, travel
Father went to America by plane last month.
[ଏଠାରେ to America = place, by plane = manner, last month = time.]
Let’s move into the new house (place) by car (manner) this afternoon (time).
Mother cooked food nicely and carefully.
nicely = six letters carefully = nine letters
Gandhi was born on the 2nd (day) of October (month) in 1869 (year).
India became an Independent country on the 15th (date) August(month), 1947(year).
Textual Activities With Answers
Activity – 1
Underline and name the adverbs in the following sentences. (ନିମ୍ନଲିଖତ ବାକ୍ୟମାନଙ୍କରେ କ୍ରିୟା ବଶେଷଣ ପଦଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ରେଖାଙ୍କିତ କରି ସେଗୁଡ଼ିକର ନାମ ଲେଖ।)
1. We looked carefully at the man.
carefully (ସତର୍କତାରସହିତ) = adverb of manner
2. Suddenly we heard a noise.
Suddenly (ହଠାତ୍) = sentential adverb
3. She spoke in a friendly way.
in a friendly way (ବନ୍ଧୁତ୍ବପୂର୍ଣ୍ଣ ଭାବରେ) = adverb of manner
4. They worked really hard.
hard (କଠିନ) = adverb of manner, really (ପ୍ରକୃତରେ) = adverb of degree
5. We played till evening.
till evening = adverb of time
6. They are quite tired.
quite an adverb of degree
7. I have never seen him earlier.
never = adverb of frequency, earlier = adverb of time
8. Luckily we won the match.
Luckily (ସୌଭାଗ୍ୟରୁ) = sentential adverb
9. Sometimes they are irregular.
sometimes = adverb of frequency
10. We reached home early yesterday.
home = adverb of place, early = adverb of time, yesterday = adverb of time
Activity – 2
Change the word in brackets into an adverb and use it in the blank spaces. (ପ୍ରଦତ୍ତ ଶବ୍ଦଗଡ଼ିକୁ କ୍ରିୟା ବିଶେଷଣରେ ପରିଣତ କରି ଶୂନ୍ୟସ୍ଥାନ ପୂରଣ କର ।)
1. We did the sum _________ (quick)
2. Meera danced ____________ well. (fair)
3. We waited there ___________ (patient)
Patiently (ଧୈର୍ଯ୍ୟର ସହିତ)
4. _________ we escaped unhurt (I am). (ଆଘାତ ନପାଇ ବଞ୍ଚିଗଲୁ). (lucky)
5. She is ___________ a dancer. (probable)
6. It is ____________ cold here. (terrible)
Terribly (ଭୟଙ୍କର ଭାବରେ)
7. He ___________ looks better today. (Certain)
Certainly (ନିଶ୍ଚିତ ଭାବରେ)
8. The baby slept __________ (quiet)
9. I am ___________ satisfied with you. (full)
10. Walk on the road ____________ (careful)
carefully (ଯତ୍ନର ସହିତ)
Activity – 3
Fill in the blanks choosing from the pair in brackets. (ବନ୍ଧନୀ ଭିତରେ ଥିବା ଶବ୍ଦଯୁଗଳ ମଧ୍ୟରୁ ଠିକ୍ ଶବ୍ଦ ବାଛି ଶୂନ୍ୟସ୍ଥାନ ପୂରଣ କର ।)
1. This work is very __________ We finished it (easy / easily)
easy (ସହଜ) – adjective, easily (ସହଜରେ)
2. Mama drew a ___________ picture. (beautiful/beautifully)
beautiful – adjective
3. The children were ____________ They played ___________ (happy / happily)
happy (ଖୁସି) – adjective, happily (ଖୁସିରେ) – adverb
4. I met him ___________ My meeting with the man was quite __________ (unexpected/unexpectedly)
unexpectedly (ହଠାତ୍ / ଅପ୍ରତ୍ୟାଶିତ ଭାବରେ ) – adverb, unexpected (ହଠାତ୍ / ଅପ୍ରତ୍ୟାଶିତ) – adjective
5. The old woman was weeping ___________ She looked very ___________ (sad / sadly)
sadly (ଦୁଃଖରେ) – adverb, sad (ଦୁଃଖ) – adjective
6. I am working very. ___________ (hard / hardly)
hard (କଠିନ) – adverb
Activity – 4
Fill in the blanks choosing from the pairs of adverbs in the box below. (ବାକ୍ସ ଭିତରେ ଥିବା ଶବ୍ଦ ଯୁଗଳ ଭିତରୁ ଠିକ୍ ଶବ୍ଦ ବାଛି ଶୂନ୍ୟସ୍ଥାନ ପୂରଣ କର ।)
late/lately, hard/hardly, short/shortly, high/highly, free/freely
1. We reached school very ________.
late (ବିଳମ୍ବରେ) – (adverb)
2. They worked _______ to finish the work in time.
3. The meeting will be held ________.
shortly (ନିକଟ ଭବିଷ୍ୟତରେ)
4. Birds can fly very ________.
5. The poor man got the food ________.
Activity – 5
Say whether the italicized words are adverbs or adjectives. (ଇଟାଲିକ୍ ଶବ୍ଦଗୁଡ଼ିକ କ୍ରିୟା ବିଶେଷଣ ପଦ ବା ବିଶେଷଣ ପଦ ଲେଖ ।)
1. His house is very near.
near-adjective, very-adverb, near-adverb
2. Our examination is drawing near.
near – adverb (ପାଖେଇଆସୁଛି)
3. We were driving along a very wide road.
wide – adjective
4. Open your mouth wide.
wide – adverb (ମେଲାକରି)
5. He looks better today.
better – adjective
6. Pranati can sing better.
better – adverb
Activity – 6
Use the adverbs given in brackets in their right places. (କ୍ରିୟା ବିଶେଷଣ ପଦଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ଠିକ୍ ସ୍ଥାନରେ ବ୍ୟବହାର କର ।)
1. He would help me. (Certainly)
He would certainly help me. (ନିଶ୍ଚିତ ଭାବରେ)
2. Have you been to Rourkela? (ever)
Have you ever been (କେବେ ଯାଇଛ) to Rourkela?
3. Tipu is late for school. (usually)
Usually, Tipu is late for school.
Or, Tipu is usually (ସାଧାରଣତଃ) late for school.
4. She can paint well. (extremely)
She can paint extremely well. (ଅତି ଭଲ ଭାବରେ)
5. My tooth is aching. (really)
My tooth is aching (ଯନ୍ତ୍ରଣା ଦେଇଛି) really.
6. These people are quarreling. (always)
These people are always quarreling.
7. We had a lovely holiday. (last week)
We had a lovely holiday last week.
8. I have finished the work. (just)
I have just finished the work.
9. We crossed the river. (safely)
We crossed the river safely. (ନିରାପଦରେ)
10. He died young. (unfortunately)
Unfortunately (ଦୁର୍ଭାଗ୍ୟବଶତଃ) he died young.
Activity – 7
Put the adverbs given in the brackets in their right-order. (କ୍ରମ ଅନୁସାରେ କ୍ରିୟା ବିଶେଷଣଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ବ୍ୟବହାର କର ।)
1. Gobinda has been waiting (for an hour, patiently).
Gobinda has been waiting patiently for an hour.
2. I went (quickly, there).
I went there quickly.
3. She ran (into the room, quickly).
She ran into the room quickly.
4. Ramesh spoke (in the meeting, this morning, nervously).
Ramesh spoke nervously in the meeting this morning.
5. Father called me (angrily, into his room).
Father called me angrily into his room.
6. It rained (in the evening, heavily, at 6 o’clock )
It rained heavily at 6 o’clock in the evening.
7. Leela rested (in her bed, peacefully, until evening).
Leela rested peacefully in her bed until evening.
8. I saw her (in a shop, accidentally, in Cuttack)
I saw her accidentally (ଅପ୍ରତ୍ୟାଶିତ ଭାବେ) in a shop in Cuttack.
[in a shop-specific place adverb, in Cuttack – general place adverb]
9. The car turned (towards the school, left)
The car turned left towards the school.
10. Why was the child crying (in the garden, so loudly, a while ago)?
Why was the child crying so loudly in the garden a while ago (କିଛିକ୍ଷଣ ପୂର୍ବରୁ)
Activity – 8
Put the adverbs in their right places and fill in the blanks :
(ଠିକ୍ ଜାଗାରେ କ୍ରିୟା ବିଶେଷଣ ପଦଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ବ୍ୟବହାର କରି ଶୂନ୍ୟସ୍ଥାନ ପୂରଣ କର ।)
1. _______ I like to go __________ . _________ (by four o’clock, home, usually)
Usually, I like to go home by four o’clock.
2. I ________ work __________ . __________ (much faster, always, in the morning)
I always work much faster in the morning.
3. He _______ behaves __________ . _________ (at work, seldom, so carelessly)
He seldom (କୃଚିତ୍) behaves so carelessly at work.
4. __________ we go __________ . ___________ . __________ (every day, to school, normally, at 10 o’clock)
Normally (ସାଧାରଣତଃ) we go to school at 10 o’clock every day.
5. She __________ comes ___________ . ___________ (these days, occasionally, to my house)
She occasionally comes to my house these days.
Activity – 9
Rewrite the following sentences putting the adverbs italicized at the beginning. The first one is done for you. (ରେଖାଙ୍କିତadverbs ଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ବାକ୍ୟର ପ୍ରଥମରେ ବ୍ୟବହାର କରି ବାକ୍ୟଗୁଡ଼ିକୁ ପୁଣିଥରେ ଲେଖ । ପ୍ରଥମଟି ତୁମ ପାଇଁ କରାଯାଇଛି ।)
1. My friend rarely visits movies. Rarely does my friend visit movies.
2. He seldom writes to me.
3. I understood only then what he meant.
4. They could nowhere find a better instructor.
5. I heard about this dreadful news only today.
6. My wife no sooner got home than it rained.
2. Seldom does he write to me.
3. Only then did I understand what he meant.
4. Nowhere could they find a better instructor. (ପ୍ରଶିକ୍ଷକ)
5. Only today did I hear about this dreadful news. (ଭୟଙ୍କର ଖବର)
6. No sooner did my wife get home (ଘରେ ପହଞ୍ଚିବା ମାତ୍ରେ) than it rained.
Adverbs And Adverbials Additional Questions With Answers
(i) Identify the adverbs and name them.
1. The train will arrive soon.
soon – Adverb of time
2. The bus turned left.
left- Adverb of place
3. Mini is always late for office.
always- Adverb of frequency
4. They are absolutely right.
absolutely-Adverb of degree
5. Samir works hard.
hard- Adverb of manner
6. Beena was ill yesterday.
yesterday- Adverb of time
7. We can probably raise the issue.
probably- Sentence adverb
8. I have never seen him before.
never – Adverb of frequency
9. This is fairly a big house.
fairly- Adverb of degree
10. Sometimes they are irregular.
sometimes- Adverb of frequency
11. Suresh Babu speaks in a friendly way.
a friendly way- Adverb phrase (manner)
12. Luckily we escaped unhurt.
Luckily – Sentence adverb
13. He certainly looks better today.
certainly – Sentence adverb
14. We won the match quite easily.
quite – Adverb of degree, easily – Adverb of manner
15. He has just gone out.
just – Adverb of time
16. We visited Puri last week.
last week – Adverb of time
17. We pay the bill monthly.
monthly – Adverb of time
18. Mr. Mohanty lives upstairs.
upstairs – Adverb of place
19. The game was not at all interesting.
at all – Adverb of degree
20. Unfortunately, he lost the chance.
unfortunately – Sentence adverb
21. We did the sum quickly.
quickly – Adverb of manner
22. It is terribly cold.
terribly Adverb of degree
23. He came rather late.
rather – Adverb of degree
24. In fact, it is heart-touching.
In fact – Sentence adverb
25. We played till evening.
till evening – Adverb of time
(ii) Choose the correct alternatives.
1. In our state the students get textbooks _______ (free/ freely)
2. We have moved into this house _________ (late / lately)
3. The meeting will be held __________ (short / shortly)
4. The children played __________ (happy / happily)
5. The train arrived _________ (late/ lately)
6. I met him ___________ (unexpected / unexpectedly)
7. He __________ (hard / hardly) comes here.
8. I ___________ (near / nearly) met with an accident.
9. We could finish our work __________ (easy / easily)
10. Birds can fly __________ (high / highly)
11. We finished the work __________ (quick quickly)
12. She looks ___________ (sad / sadly)
13. Mira drew a __________ picture. (beautiful / beautifully)
14. My meeting with him was quite __________ (unexpected / unexpectedly)
15. This work is very _________ (easy / easily)
16. The boys were __________ (happy / happily)
17. The lady was weeping ___________ (sad / sadly)
18. He works very ____________ (hard / hardly)
19. You are ____________ (usual / usually) late for school.
20. I found the post office quite ___________ (near / nearly)
(iii) Put the adverbs/adverbials in the right order.
1. We reached _________ (safely, home yesterday)
home safely yesterday.
2. Meet me _________ (next week, at 11 p.m., on Sunday)
at 11 p.m. on Sunday next week.
3. We lived __________ (in Puri, in a hotel)
in a hotel in Puri
4. She sang ___________ (in the town hall, beautifully, yesterday)
beautifully in the town hall yesterday
5. We worked ____________ (yesterday, in the garden, hard)
hard in the garden yesterday
6. We flew __________ (by Air India, to the USA, last week)
to the USA by Air India last week
7. The examination begins ____________ (in the morning, at 9 a.m., on 22 February)
at 9 a.m. in the morning on 22 February
8. He was born _________ (on 12 August, at 5 p.m., in the year 1964)
at 5 p.m. on 12 August in the year 1964 there silently
9. I stood __________ (silently, there)
10. I saw my friend off __________ (at 5 o’clock, at the station, yesterday evening)
at the station at 5 o’clock yesterday evening
11. He stood __________ (for about five minutes, in the class, silently)
silently in the class for about five minutes
12. He worked ___________ (all day, yesterday, at his office, very hard)
very hard at his office all day yesterday
13. He hurt his leg __________ (badly, last Sunday, with a knife)
badly with a knife last Sunday
14. Let’s go __________ (tonight, to the pictures)
to the pictures tonight
15. Our country became independent __________ (1947, on 14-15 August, at midnight)
at midnight on 14-15 August 1947
16. I saw her ___________. (in a shop, accidentally, in Cuttack)
accidentally in a shop in Cuttack
17. Why was the child crying __________? (in the garden, so loudly, a while ago)
so loudly in the garden a while ago
18. It rained ___________ (in the evening, heavily, at 6 o’clock)
heavily at 6 o’clock in the evening
19. He spoke ____________ (in the meeting, this morning, nervously)
nervously in the meeting this morning
20. She rested ___________ (in her bed, peacefully, until evening)
peaceful in her bed until the evening
21. Gobinda has been waiting ________ (for an hour, patiently)
patiently for an hour
22. She ran __________ (into the room, quickly, an hour ago)
into the room quickly an hour ago
23. He behaved __________ (at work, carelessly)
carelessly at work.
24. He arrived ___________ (yesterday, home, unexpectedly)
home unexpectedly yesterday
25. He went ____________ (to the office, in the morning, in hungry)
to the office in a hurry in the morning
(iv) Rewrite the sentences beginning with the words the phrases underlined.
1. I have never seen him before.
Never have I seen him before.
2. We seldom go out these days.
Seldom do we go out these days.
3. He has hardly done anything useful.
Hardly has he done anything useful.
4. They returned after school hour.
After school hour did they return.
5. He disappeared suddenly.
Suddenly he disappeared.
6. June comes after May.
After May comes June.
7. You can purify your soul only by meditation.
Only by meditation, you can purify your soul.
8. He had scarcely finished writing when the bell rang.
Scarcely had he finished writing when the bell rang.
9. They could nowhere find a better place.
Nowhere could they find a better place.
10. My friend rarely visits movies.
Rarely does my friend visit movies.
11. I heard about this dreadful news only today.
Only today did I hear about this dreadful news.
12. My wife no sooner got home than it rained.
No sooner did my wife get home than it rained.
13. He seldom writes to me.
Seldom does he write to me.
14. I understood only then what he meant.
Only then did I understand what the meant.
15. She had rarely written such a long letter.
Rarely had she written such a long letter.
(v) Use the correct degree of the adverbs given in brackets.
1. I can run the __________ (fast) of all.
2. He reached __________ (early) than me.
3. The _________ (near) zoo is at Nandankanan.
4. I swim _________ (well) than he does.
5. Mumbai is _________ (far) than Kolkata.
6. She walked the ___________ (slow) of all.
7. Rinu is working very __________ (hard).
8. The female actors acted __________ (well) than male actors.
9. I can speak __________ than him. (quickly)
10. He makes mistakes the ___________ (little) of all.
11. She can sing ___________ (well) than her sister.
12. A deer can run ____________ (fast) than an elephant.
13. He would certainly have met you ___________ (early)
14. I can speak as ____________ (quickly) as you.
15. Rabi speaks __________ (politely) of all.